I Love But Mustn't
The feelings arise in my heart
against my will
What do I do with them?
Should I let spill?
I am not free to express
all the love in my soul
I see you, speak to you
and my heart is full
I am not free to feel
I love you but I mustn't
I cannot help myself
My heart runs away with me.
So I must go away
never see you again
It breaks my heart so
but there is naught to be gained.
We cannot be together
our two worlds separate
perhaps in the next life
the Gods will change our fate.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Love But Mustn't by Susan Sybenga )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns