'' I'm Afraid There Is No Guarantee ''
With God’s rules you must always comply
Yet to gain entry to Heaven first you must die,
Only then will God hear your plea.
When against Satan you’ve been pitted,
It will depend on the sins you’ve committed,
Only God will decide if you’ve to be acquitted,
You could well be an absentee.
Problem is there’s no right of appeal,
Where you’re heading he’ll then reveal,
Hell I’ve heard can be an ordeal,
You will never again be free.
Purgatory is for those who require redemption,
Only God has the right of pre-emption,
You’ve got to go there is no exemption,
Your future only God can foresee.
I can only imagine he’s a politician,
Totally in charge of our life and deaths mission,
Never sinning is a precondition,
With his manifesto you must always agree.
If we’re made in his image does he commit sin?
Who forgives him does he have a twin,
To be like a human he must have a thick skin,
Just like the bark on a tree.
When and how you die there’s not much choice,
It’s God who’ll decide you don’t have a voice,
When it finally happens you’re expected to rejoice,
When did dying ever fill you with glee?
The criteria you’ve laid down just isn’t fair,
Allowing a test drive would show that you care,
Will we be filled with joy or a deep despair?
‘’ I’m Afraid There Is No Guarantee ‘’
bri mar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem ('' I'm Afraid There Is No Guarantee '' by bri mar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(23 January 1930)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Be Kind, Charles Bukowski
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- The One I Wanted For Me, Spiritwind Wood
- Faced with fears of a wide blank canvass, Mark Heathcote
- All Just A Game, Spiritwind Wood
- Forever Black, Spiritwind Wood
- For the Love of Your Life, Sandra Feldman
- Flame Of My Soul, Spiritwind Wood
- Inside, Spiritwind Wood
- Until You Look Through My Eyes, Spiritwind Wood
- In the Span of Life, R B Seals
- Controlling The Narrative, Lawrence S. Pertillar