Importance of Rain
Through rain’s pouring source
The world maintains its course
Rain in itself is a food
And it verily produces precious food.
If clouds with hold the promised rain
Hunger and distress in the world reign
If clouds impart the bounteous rain
It restores hunger’s gnawing pain.
If no drops of rain are shed
Even the blades of grass are dead
If clouds curb their gifts
Even wealth of wide sea drifts.
If the sky becomes practically dry
Offerings are nil even to God in heaven high
If the clouds their waters cease
People cannot offer alms to ease.
In Hindu tradition as God Himself, is rain regarded
And as “Varuna Bhagavan” is deified and denoted!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
It was authored by Saint Thiruvalluvar, a great Tamil Poet who lived 30years before Christ.
It has been translated in over 60 languages of the world.
Comments about this poem (Importance of Rain by chandra thiagarajan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Man in the Moon, Diana Landry Bardsly
- Indian English Poetry: A Study In Scatte.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- How to Think Like a Poet, Holly Wotherspoon
- The Dirty Old Man of India, Khushwant Si.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Came I to summer, Nero CaroZiv
- Under The Lantern Light I Used To Read, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Oh, never more!, Nero CaroZiv
- Da Monologue [From 'What The Sentinel Sa.., Joseph Archer
- Balances, Smoky Hoss
- Alone And Wretched, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed