In A Year
Never any more,
While I live,
Need I hope to see his face
Once his love grown chill,
Mine may strive:
Bitterly we re-embrace,
Was it something said,
Vexed him? was it touch of hand,
Turn of head?
Strange! that very way
I as little understand
When I sewed or drew,
How he looked as if I sung,
If I spoke a word,
First of all
Up his cheek the colour sprang,
Then he heard.
Sitting by my side,
At my feet,
So he breathed but air I breathed,
I, too, at love's brim
Touched the sweet:
I would die if death bequeathed
Sweet to him.
``Speak, I love thee best!''
``Let thy love my own foretell!''
``Clasp my heart on thine
``Since upon thy soul as well
Was it wrong to own,
Why should all the giving prove
I had wealth and ease,
Since my lover gave me love,
I gave these.
That was all I meant,
---To be just,
And the passion I had raised,
Since he chose to change
Gold for dust,
If I gave him what he praised
Was it strange?
Would he loved me yet,
On and on,
While I found some way undreamed
---Paid my debt!
Gave more life and more,
Till, all gone,
He should smile ``She never seemed
``What, she felt the while,
``Must I think?
``Love's so different with us men!''
He should smile:
``Dying for my sake---
``White and pink!
``Can't we touch these bubbles then
``But they break?''
Dear, the pang is brief,
Do thy part,
Have thy pleasure! How perplexed
Well, this cold clay clod
Was man's heart:
Crumble it, and what comes next?
Is it God?
Robert Browning's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (In A Year by Robert Browning )
Did you read them?
- বাংলা ভাষায় চন্দ্রবিন্দুর প্রয়োজনীয়তা আছ.., Md. Ziaul Haque
- এইখানে একটা পেয়ারা গাছ ছিল, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Forlorn, my love, no comfort here, Robert Burns
- The Burying Of The Ant, Emmanuel George Cefai
- You will attempt I will test., Emmanuel George Cefai
- The cocks by mid-night Called., Emmanuel George Cefai
- Run of the Ages, Emmanuel George Cefai
- White Freshness, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Round the land, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The Bonie Lass of Albany, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Frog and The Nightingale, Vikram Seth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(20 June 1952 -)