Inspiration To Create A New
Wouldn’t it be grand
if giving handprints was a sign of originality
across jail intake land?
Instead of identifying them as a defendant
criminal or thief—
it showed how they are unique?
Be what they were meant to be…
That would be great if that was
reinforced in our society.
Not blame, right or wrong—
We can now focus on more than getting along
but having each human be who they were meant to Be
Not focus on the wrong and criminology.
Children are proud of their handprints
it seperates Who They Are—
when little their handprints
where used to show they are a Shining Star.
Now inmates feel handprints are used for being bad—
labeled as a criminal? Which is very sad.
Treat inmates like family
not separate “Prisoners of War”
Here is a chance to turn things around
like never before.
Maybe inmate never had options available
Now society treats them like animals in a
closed off gym.
Give them something to Create
not to feel hopeless and retaliate—
Why not have rooms set up to write and draw—
if they are not going to harm someone
Can this be a new bylaw?
To draw and write might help them with their plight.
Change the system from within—
in all possible ways to focus on inspiration.
Look at it as a place where hope is to be found
not making them feel depressed with walls all around.
Paint murals on closed off rooms
paint when inmates are getting sunshine outside
also have music fill the rooms
with nice sounding tunes.
This could be done over the intercom
why not make it pleasant
not gloomy atmosphere all around?
This will have to be implemented from the top down
as a “Philosophy of Morals” for how
we as American’s can now help
the social problems of corrections
that is sound.
SQC Chevalier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Inspiration To Create A New by SQC Chevalier )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Men, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- There Are So Many Things I Can Still Do, Shalom Freedman
- Heedless, Jubril Balogun
- Missing You, Michael P. McParland
- Against my empty soul, Bee Kilpatrick
- Which One Do I Choose?, Julie Johnson
- Beautiful Madness, Steven Rhoads
- I am a poet, Julie Johnson
- Life of War, Steven Rhoads
- Do It Well, Babatunde Aremu
- So Tired, Frank Lindquist