Lawrence S. Pertillar
I would rather receive true love to me given,
Than to be told by the giver delivering it...
What I am getting from them,
Is a love upon me...
And I with my eyes closed await,
Anticipating to become elated.
Neither does it touch me with a feeling to get.
Nor do I believe what it is I 'should' receive,
Could possibly come from one giving love done.
Or has ever known with senses convinced,
What I knew to be love beyond the telling shown.
With a keeping of a heat to release my inner beast.
But left I am to guess and wonder when alone,
If what had been expressed achieved any depth?
And should I imagine 'after' love had been confessed,
If intended intensity had been involved and meant?
Since missing in action I was not and this I know,
While in the midst of exchanging it with hardened evidence.
To leave me mystified as to why I am partially clothed,
As I open my eyes to hear my door suddenly slam close.
'Why did you leave me so abruptly? '
~You promised me a thick steak for dinner.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Intended Intensity by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- Of Life Is Change, Is It Poetry
- Chicken Burger, Angela Wybrow
- Take me home, Barbara Dixion
- How...?, Ginny Gibbs
- gustakhi karke ched gyin uski aankhein, Yashvardhan Goel
- mukda, Yashvardhan Goel
- No More Yelling, Michael McParland
- The Wilderness We Abandon, Robert Rorabeck
- Best Lesson, sallam yassin
- Our Heavenly Souls, Robert Rorabeck
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)