Invictus, A Haiku Set for Nelson Mandela
a young Mandela raised
his right fist
Mandela's stories color
1 Nelson Mandela met with the captain of the Springboks rugby team, François Pienaar, implying that a Springboks victory in the 1995 World Cup would unite and inspire the nation. Mandela also shared with him, a British poem, titled 'Invictus' ('undefeated' or 'unconquered') that had inspired him during his time in prison.
2 In South Africa, Nelson Mandela is often referred to by his Xhosa clan name, Madiba, or as Tata ('Father') , and viewed as 'the father of the nation.'
Chenou Liu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Invictus, A Haiku Set for Nelson Mandela by Chenou Liu )
- ANGER, ging taping
- Draw me in your heart, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- The thirst is a thorn., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Simple toys, hasmukh amathalal
- Acquaintance across the gender, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Begining of my love, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- What is all truth, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- Let all people, hasmukh amathalal
- To be successful…, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- This parts all without you, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)