Jobe, The Patriarch of Uz
Once in Heaven’s council, a wager was made of Lucifer and God.
Consequently, my piety of nature was accused of Satan’s rod…
Unbeknownced to myself, I’d became “duly noted a pawn-! ”
4-Years I’d cover my clan with prayers; seeing now their life gone.
My enemy received permission to deal me a low blow, off shore.
With missing cattle, and children, of which I prayed each day for!
Within one hour, within one-day, my cattle stolen, my children dead!
7-days of silence, cursing when I was born; mates did accuse me instead.
Yes, I might’ve implied ‘God was to blame; ’ such is the futility of man.
Naked I came into this life, and naked shall I eventually leave, again.
These awful boils-, in ashes and dust I sit; my mate can’t abide me a-bit.
Under the worst calamities, who could abide; although, in faith, I sit-!
There I was, in Uz, with a title “a position, ” with wealth, and my kin.
A helper of the poor, cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, I had no sin.
Endless tribulations, constant and too much; now my family’s lost-!
Although, I am grateful, as any Jew, I argued and asked why the cost?
Who’d ever think a semi-tragic state could have a happy end…
God says “my child you are right, but prayers for foes should begin.”
‘Twas then I found, my “life as a Pawn” was greatly turned around-!
Now, I have kids galore and a lovely mate whom I adore, in town.
Now the wise virgins rejoice in the dance, both young and old together;
God has turned my mourning into joy; and he comforts me so, forever…
Thus, no one has ever succeeded in the land of fame without humility.
This now “my Pearl of wisdom” I leave to ALL, for life and posterity-.
ArmourQuill Hunter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Jobe, The Patriarch of Uz by ArmourQuill Hunter )
- The Return, Smoky Hoss
- A poem for a poem, Nikola Pajtic
- Candlelight, Matt Mooney
- High Rollers, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Nightmares at your feet, Nikola Pajtic
- Dying roosters, Nikola Pajtic
- Narcissus, Mark Heathcote
- Birthday, bryan wallace
- My Jason Lytle Suggestion, Mark R. Elias
- Poetic Aspirations, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns