Left Alone for Another Lifetime
I give my eyes to the stairs as I ascend,
They seem not to be steps, steps, steps, steps,
But one sheet of inclined metal
Willing me to misplace my left foot and slip.
It may just be the lighting;
The insomniac bulbs that are so dull
It's as if half had been stolen somehow
Or fell alseep in quiet protest to their ceaseless use.
That drone, that is the consistent hum of their snore I guess.
At the top I enter the bedroom
Under a family-tonne of scowls, - screwed up noses,
A lazy eye - hanging framed on the wall.
It makes them unadorable; those sweaty wrinkles are permanent.
The shadow of my brother makes me
Look strange-ish in that photo,
A sort of grey, like death black
Diluted with a cup of pinkish humour.
But the sun cremates itself
And night, night, night.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Left Alone for Another Lifetime by Sandy Player )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- To drive a point, i collect pebbles and .., RIC S. BASTASA
- I follow the smoke, and sigh, RIC S. BASTASA
- Unchanging To Exchange Blame, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Have Fun! Why Not?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Respecting Ideas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- where you belong..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Our Divine Differences, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sense Of Being Directionless, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Desert, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Living on, The Princess is