Looking Not Seeing
Under the sky where the river goes by,
sits an old woman asking why?
Under the bus station
sleeps a homeless boy always asking why?
Under the wind trying to keep warm
is a man not knowing why?
Under the farm with her hands bleed dry,
is a woman who does not ask why.
She understands the work that needs to be done
and is humble for the way her life has become.
maria goodison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Looking Not Seeing by maria goodison )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Poem of the Day
- A Villain I, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I.H.Rizvi, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Crying Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- Ballad Of A Mothers Love, Kewayne Wadley
- Terrorist, Kewayne Wadley
- Hari Om, Bijay Kant Dubey
- सपना इतना..sapna itna, hasmukh amathalal
- Hard labour, hasmukh amathalal
- Peace will prevail..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Divine Vs Divination, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi