Love entangles semantics
what is Love? indeed,
what is it to Love?
how can one glance truth,
fight through the ingrained gloss
of magazine styled relationships,
of playground whispers, and
the emotion and incoherence of
youthful lust which oft
we mistake in teenage years
(and some throughout their entire life)
for the purest form of Love?
i have learnt,
in contra (it seems) to many of my peers, that
such Love is but the first flush
of raw, un-experienced hormone
played on forming mind.
so then, again, what is Love?
if after the span of all our years,
and the years of our fathers fathers combined
we are still searching for a truth,
some Light on this one subject, which
utterly permeates our lives,
what chance have we
of ever finding such a goal?
or ever classifying this one truth?
or ever understanding this single thing
which ties us all together even if
we see it not ourselves?
perhaps the answer lies in this one fact:
no answer has been found, yet
Love still remains a central tenet
a defining feature of our nature,
of what it is to be human.
Christopher Withers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love entangles semantics by Christopher Withers )
- I Go Far to Fetch the Truth, with Hope, Aftab Alam
- One a.m., Susan Lacovara
- The War Against Lopping, douglas scotney
- YOU Are First Fiddle in Your Concert, AL.., Mr. Nobody Nothing
- ' गुरुगान यशगान ', Rahul Vyas
- Silence, Tshering Chekii
- 'तस्वीर', Rahul Vyas
- दंङ आंहा कलम गंसे, Ronjoy Brahma
- Men are sexually cruel., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Decrepit, Adam Ruudiina
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Brown Penny, William Butler Yeats
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)