Love entangles semantics
what is Love? indeed,
what is it to Love?
how can one glance truth,
fight through the ingrained gloss
of magazine styled relationships,
of playground whispers, and
the emotion and incoherence of
youthful lust which oft
we mistake in teenage years
(and some throughout their entire life)
for the purest form of Love?
i have learnt,
in contra (it seems) to many of my peers, that
such Love is but the first flush
of raw, un-experienced hormone
played on forming mind.
so then, again, what is Love?
if after the span of all our years,
and the years of our fathers fathers combined
we are still searching for a truth,
some Light on this one subject, which
utterly permeates our lives,
what chance have we
of ever finding such a goal?
or ever classifying this one truth?
or ever understanding this single thing
which ties us all together even if
we see it not ourselves?
perhaps the answer lies in this one fact:
no answer has been found, yet
Love still remains a central tenet
a defining feature of our nature,
of what it is to be human.
Christopher Withers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love entangles semantics by Christopher Withers )
- because you doubted it, RIC S. BASTASA
- The curving world's edge (Passion Sonnet), Gert Strydom
- Could My Calm Coax You, Susan Lacovara
- At times we are only set on passing (Ame.., Gert Strydom
- The Implementation Is Seldom Unchanged, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Clean India Campaign, Dr John Celes
- Holy Journey, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- MISSION, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life's Numbers, Randy McClave
- Imagining Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)