Eric Paul Shaffer
Lovers on Pulehu Road, Between the Sugar Mill and the Maui County Dump
His beat-up green pickup faces Haleakala, her thrashed
Celica toward K-Mart, on the shoulder of Pulehu Road. The lovers
stand in roadside mud, arms encircling
each other, gazing over a field of sugar cane at two boiling columns
of smoke rising from the mill. They stand too close to be casual,
toes dirtied where they hang over the slipper's edge.
The afternoon reveals they should not be here, should not be
together, that only half their hearts attempt
to conceal their meeting. I drive past, but they do not look over,
knowing everyone on the island knows everyone else.
Not wanting to see themselves seen, their heads remain turned away.
My windows are down, and the stink of the dump rattles
white plastic bags tangled in kiawe trees.
I'm glad they let me pass without a glance. I don't want to know
whose wife she is or who his children are
or recognize a Safeway cashier or a meter-reader for Maui Electric.
My mirror shows unmoved lovers embracing
beneath ragged, windy limbs as trash cartwheels across the road.
They know the road to the dump is far too public
for a lover's lane, and they have not forgotten their families
and their friends drive this red-stained, two-lane blacktop
to throw away what they no longer want, what they have used
beyond use, and all the many things they have broken.
Eric Paul Shaffer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Lovers on Pulehu Road, Between the Sugar Mill and the Maui County Dump by Eric Paul Shaffer )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Francesca, Ezra Pound
Poem of the Day
- Shallum, Edward Kofi Louis
- Hey There (Don't You Stare) / The New A.., Joseph Archer
- Imprisoned!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Afghanistanstuck, Ima Ryma
- To Speak With You II, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Speak With You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Virtuous Acts, Leong Ming Loong
- Your Paradise Is Met, Naveed Akram
- Who Needs Rains In Heaven?, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Prevention is better than cure, Leong Ming Loong