Pamela Ann Frances Crane
I wandered, lonely, as a cloud
Of loose balloons above the fair
Carried the colours of the crowd
Into the blue and steamy air;
The crush, the smells, the shrieking rides
Swamping the town between the tides.
The folks out foraging for fun
Saw no-one watching by the queue,
Merely a shadow in the sun
Only a breath away from you;
Your onions flavouring my nose,
Your ice-cream dripping on my toes.
The chilly girls, the loud parade
Dispersed to hot dogs on the pier,
Counting the money they had made -
The same routine as every year.
The rattled bucket caught a pound
I picked up on the rugby ground.
That’s all I had. I hope it went
To folks in institutions, or
To help some other indigent
Hungry as me, whose feet were sore,
No dog for comfort, no guitar,
Curled up where all the dustbins are.
I wander, lonely. As a cloud
Of pungent steam rolls up the town
Enveloping me like a shroud
Your lights wink on, my sun goes down.
May-Day, May-Day by the sea;
Tears at bedtime - none for me.
Pamela Ann Frances Crane's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (May-Day by Pamela Ann Frances Crane )
- Washing Upon The Shore, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You Will Not Die, Paul Sebastian
- the world the flesh and the devill, ademola oluwabusayo
- If This Were My Last Moment, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Just the Right Madness: A Found Poem, Frank Avon
- COPLA 111 RESOLUTION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- Nature's Sanctuary, Khairul Ahsan
- Gray Tears, herbert guitang
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.49, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.48, Monk E. Biz
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)