Mediterranean's exotic dance,
waves court tall white faced Italian shores,
then sit upon the footstools that are France
and wait within her ocean's cloistered doors.
Once claimed by kingdoms that arose before
their strength dispersed by majesty of arms,
coliseums decayed, rust retrieves the sword,
Phoenician horns no longer sound alarms
drowned in the depths which internalize her charms.
I walk upon the shadows of her wake;
my footfalls silenced, stolen by the blue,
and glance upon the islands of her lake,
Corsica and Sardinia come to view.
I taste the wine her ancient vineyards grew,
rich olives purple nuggets of her soil
pressing the golden liquid flowing through
my veins bared by the years of human toil
anoints my spirit with their aromatic oil.
The gods of plenty irrigate her grounds,
cornucopias poured by outstretched hands
freed by praise from their planetary bounds
frolicking in mirth on her fertile lands;
Europe, Anatolia and Levant,
North Africa, Macedonia, Greece
bathed in the breadth of her untiring bands,
island civilizations, Cypress, Crete,
their banners dressed Alexander's conquering seat.
Augustus named her 'Mare Nostrum, Our Sea, '
until Rome's ultimate fall and decline
concepts of man, empire and dynasty
temporal precepts waste away in time.
The flavor of aged Neapolitan wine's
hearty grapes sweetly settles on my lips,
beautiful Campania seeks out my mind
as I hoist the sails of my fading ship
I give Mediterraneus a farewell kiss.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Mediterraneus by Captain Cur )
Did you read them?
- Holi, Angela Wybrow
- A Special Bond, leanne royle
- Your Initiative, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- To Want With Wishes It More Lived, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Your Kept Best, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- ROUND AND ROUND, Peter LeBuhn
- God's Gift To You!, Denis Martindale
- Voices, stephen awuni
- Cost Less, stephen awuni
- My Past Governs Me, Ian Paisnel
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)