like similes that rain
upon the page resist
the meaning that is plain,
Artifice that feeds
the poet's parking meter,
mixed metaphors, like weeds,
may need an exegeter.
Precious is the prism,
the rainbow of the image
of metaphoric scrimmage,
as neat as neologism.
Richard Jenkyns reviews 'Virgil: His Life and Times, ' by Peter Levi (St. Martin's Press) and 'The Eclogues of Virgil: A Translation by David Ferry' (Farrar, Straus and Giroux) in 'Immemorial Elms' (TNR) , August 30,1999) . He quotes Levi with approval: 'Dido comes with her crowd of young men and her mist of metaphor.'
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (metaphoric mist by gershon hepner )
- hope, SALINI NAIR
- Writing Is Like Human Sex, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- VARIETIES OF FOODS انواع من الاطعمة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- To Jean Redpath, mary douglas
- ...A LOVE SONG, Ken e Hall
- The destiny, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Chibok Girls, Murtaza Micky Yusuf
- Sab bhar kiya tha..., Azhar Sabri
- Taqraar mohabbat me..., Azhar Sabri
- In Joyous Distress, Margaret Alice Second