like similes that rain
upon the page resist
the meaning that is plain,
Artifice that feeds
the poet's parking meter,
mixed metaphors, like weeds,
may need an exegeter.
Precious is the prism,
the rainbow of the image
of metaphoric scrimmage,
as neat as neologism.
Richard Jenkyns reviews 'Virgil: His Life and Times, ' by Peter Levi (St. Martin's Press) and 'The Eclogues of Virgil: A Translation by David Ferry' (Farrar, Straus and Giroux) in 'Immemorial Elms' (TNR) , August 30,1999) . He quotes Levi with approval: 'Dido comes with her crowd of young men and her mist of metaphor.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (metaphoric mist by gershon hepner )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Tetracty Dry Grass, Heather Burns
- On The Highway Of Life, Heather Burns
- Angel With Ferns In A Far Landscape, mary douglas
- Theres A Place, Heather Burns
- Plum Tree, Kyle Schlicher
- Suffusing My Heart In Sunrise, mary douglas
- A Promise Made, Kyle Schlicher
- Our Children, Heather Burns
- Going Home, Heather Burns
- Valentine With Doves On The Seven Last W.., mary douglas