like similes that rain
upon the page resist
the meaning that is plain,
Artifice that feeds
the poet's parking meter,
mixed metaphors, like weeds,
may need an exegeter.
Precious is the prism,
the rainbow of the image
of metaphoric scrimmage,
as neat as neologism.
Richard Jenkyns reviews 'Virgil: His Life and Times, ' by Peter Levi (St. Martin's Press) and 'The Eclogues of Virgil: A Translation by David Ferry' (Farrar, Straus and Giroux) in 'Immemorial Elms' (TNR) , August 30,1999) . He quotes Levi with approval: 'Dido comes with her crowd of young men and her mist of metaphor.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (metaphoric mist by gershon hepner )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The Path, Deepak Hariharan
- A Hymn to God, Dr John Celes
- The Facebook Poem, Alan W. Jankowski
- The Jerk At Work, Alan W. Jankowski
- When Friends Betray Friends, Alan W. Jankowski
- My Love Did Sometimes Wander, Alan W. Jankowski
- No Help At All, Alan W. Jankowski
- The Bird, the Cat, the Monster and I…., Poetheart (back)
- Neon Sign, Alan W. Jankowski
- Party Favors, Alan W. Jankowski