Forsaken, after many foreskins bought her,
indignant, naturally—she was the monarch’s daughter—
she criticized the way her husband danced
when coming to Jerusalem, entranced,
it seemed, more by the girls with lovely legs,
that prancing, offered him far better sex
that she, a monarch’s daughter, was prepared
to offer to this jumped-up shepherd who
moved like a dromedary from the zoo
where Saul had taken her when she was young,
forgetting that the sight of beasts well hung
can have a bad effect on daughters’ minds
before they are aware that their behinds
arouse young men whom glutei attract,
and prove it to them, being stiffly stacked.
Because she wouldn’t tolerate ménages
he threw her out and then bestowed his largesse
on Bathsheba who said that he was free
to lie with Abishag, a double D.
He wrote a Psalm about it––it was lost
soon after Michal from his bed was tossed.
She found it and I think she tore it up,
before he wrote the one about the cup
that always runneth over––twenty-third––
which means, of course, he had the final word.
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (missing psalm by gershon hepner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
David Herbert Lawrence
(11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Clown in the Moon, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
Poem of the Day
- Pain and Love Thoughts, Tiger Auntunette
- THE PROXY, michael walkerjohn
- Soul and air, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Flowers, Clovisvaldo Marques Baleeiro
- My Poetic Existence, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..
- Safety In Dreams, Is It Poetry
- Death defies planning., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Vanaprastha, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Broken vision, Lubinda Lubinda
- Two hands to kill, hasmukh amathalal