Mark R Slaughter
My Happy New Year
Fell into a new year.
Heavy hung elusive cheer
Atop a pool of stagnant hope;
A grubby smear upon the faint horizon.
I puzzled in a maze of cancer-blessing fags,
Took to weed; drawing drags, I felt
The desperation surge within.
Search for peace wore ever thin.
If I were freed from self-perpetuation
Of negation – deep depression –
I’d clamber for a life that had a meaning.
It isn’t working.
I think I’ll stick with dreaming
Copyright © Mark R Slaughter 2011
Mark R Slaughter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Happy New Year by Mark R Slaughter )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The Long Goodbye, Barry Jablonski
- I Want NIght To End, Elia Michael
- Transformation And Power Of Love, Lilly Emery
- To Do To..., Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Face Filters, Naveed Akram
- Almost a Fairy Tale, Lawrence Beck
- www at put up words, Abdullah alHemaidy
- Longing, Lara A. Aqrawi
- Cynicism….The Only One, James B. Earley
- The Beauty of Poetry, Lilly Emery