Our stomach sounds swishingly every morning
When the relish of delicious food gets struck to nose.
Hence, unprecedentedly we sit around dining-table
Being ratty and with unsquashable hunger to eat.
And our pretty grandmother lifts her stick up seeing our gobbets
Or watching us gobbling throughout the banquet.
And to escape her anger we rush out of door;
So, banteringly she says, 'Perhaps you must not spare the flies'.
Though no flies we notice to fly around.
But it amazes us when she comments-
'Don't break my heart, O demons! let them remain alive'.
'You must slay their heads before I dive! '
And our immature wit stumbles to realize
The meaning, that never recurs in our head.
But we have not relinquished our belief in her yet
To extract the truth out of flowery beauty of her speech.
So, an alluring sizzle when had made us enter into
One day the kitchen, thoroughly we looked into
The glasses, the dishes, the pots to find out
The mystery of her speech, or what she says about.
But we were failed to deploy the truth.
Hence, one day we were provided those dishes
Hidden into grandmother's ancient boxes.
And at the end of feast we noticed some flies lay on them-
Utterly dead and spiritless; but trying to fly upon wings.
So, our oval faces turned white and mouth open!
Seeing the flies, overwhelmed forever in her speech.
It were the flies, curved by grandmother on dishes!
Pijush Biswas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mysterious Flies by Pijush Biswas )
- Soul Sighter, michael walkerjohn
- I Don't Want To Be but I want to., Menkato Awomi
- Treasure Island, Akhtar Jawad
- I Love You- -II, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burkhawalli, Tumhe Kis Karke Paya Ki Tum.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Do Not Forget, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Bade Miyan, Cchote Miyan Aur Bukhawalli, Bijay Kant Dubey
- z, Vera Sidhwa
- (A) Bio-Environ-P0em, Nyein Way
- Fobbed Off, Diane Hine
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- My Wishes, Yasmin Rubayo
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow