Lowered eyes, every footfall soundless,
bony shoulders rise and fall as pistons
And strike! Death is delivered,
the quarry stilled in an instant.
Jaws clench on feathers, bone and sinew
Whiskered muzzle nudges aside the door
Huzzar! A gift of feline adoration;
You somehow seem to be displeased?
Deep beneath that languid silky coat
combed, luxuriant, the colour of disdain,
Who cares! Back upright, regal, tail flickers,
ears flatten, craving words of praise.
Here they come, 'Not the budgie! ! ! ! '
The chase is on! Feathers, fingers, fur and claw,
Outside! The little lifeless scrap of blue retrieved,
A reproachful yellow stare fixes you.
Busy Monday morning at Pre-school,
The birdcage is returned to the classroom
He's green! The children marvel at the bird's new clothes,
Amazing how a weekend can renew.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Natural History by Maggie Munro )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- incontinence, lee fones
- Soccer World Cup 2014, Zoila T. Flores
- your heart would have looked beautiful o.., Mandolyn Davidson
- you remain beneath the swing set, Mandolyn Davidson
- though foe, you friend me well, Mandolyn Davidson
- To Nuke the Mirror, Madrason writer
- Nothing Beats Love, Lilly Emery
- Resolution, Alex Adeoye
- The way of the champion, Alex Adeoye
- Judging A Woman, Randy McClave