No Stockings Are Hung........ [X-mas Eve Has Changed For Me; Personal]
NO stockings, this Christmas Eve, by the chimney are hung.
NO holiday music plays in our home; NO carols are sung.
NO wreath’s on our front door to make our home look so dandy.
I WON'T go to a midnight church service, where as a kid I got candy.
NO tree adorns our living room, topped off with a star.
NO Christmas cookies are baking to be placed in a jar.
NO presents are wrapped, awaiting Christmas Day's morning light.
A very few cards arrived, and THOSE aren’t even in sight.
NO, it’s not like the Christmas Eves I knew long ago,
when in bed I had visions of reindeer with Santa’s swift sled in tow.
My parents are long dead and my siblings are scattered,
my daughter has her own family now, but I’ve got what most mattered.
I’ve got my health, or most of it, and still most of my teeth.
I’ve got warm outer winter clothes, and clothes to go underneath.
I’ve got food in the house, and each night a warm shower.
I’ve got a cell phone to call friends and relatives and to tell me the hour.
I’ve got wild birds out our windows to enjoy as they feed.
I’ve got PoemHunter, books, and movies; more than I need.
I’ve got volunteer work and such......to help keep me busy,
and I’ve got a loving wife, though...., at times, she makes me dizzy.
The ONE Christmas event I miss since moving......out to the West Coast.......
is making snowmen and snow women; it was what I liked most.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (No Stockings Are Hung........ [X-mas Eve Has Changed For Me; Personal] by Bri Edwards )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1924 - 2000)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A drop fell on the apple tree, Emily Dickinson
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Diana's Pool, Julyn Pride
- For My Pen, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- Villanelle: When countries slaughter mai.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Coywolf, Julyn Pride
- December Walk, Julyn Pride
- Conundrums Consequence..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Whats and Whats, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- No Answers To Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Angelwalk 2, Mr. Spock
- Bridging The Beauty of New York On The H.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR