Lawrence S. Pertillar
Of Trinkets and Meaningless 'Things'
Those with little to give may have nothing else,
From themselves to offer to others to impress...
But the little they have to leave them with less.
If in the doing it removes someone,
Who has been depressed by stress.
Those with little to give and do,
Prove they have hearts much bigger too...
Than the ones who have abundance but snicker,
At those with nothing but thoughts to bring cheer.
And on their minds deception is no where near,
Regardless who defines their own mindless selfishness...
With an empty hollowness that addresses,
Their wishes to express their shallowness...
With the giving of trinkets and meaningless 'things'.
'What am I going to do with a food processer?
And I appreciate your ten dollar check.
But I have no bank account yet.
Since living on the streets I have no permanent address.'
~Some of you homeless people are so unappreciative.
I guess you expect I should feed you next? ~
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Of Trinkets and Meaningless 'Things' by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
James Weldon Johnson
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- A Tale of Two Handicapped Handyman, Tushar Ray
- Whispers Of Canal-Ghosts, Naveed Akram
- She Walks In Beauty, Luo Zhihai
- Is God both Interventionist and non-inte.., Merton Lee
- Fitina Mai Sand'a, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- Grandma's Attic...(Prose), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Diana's Pool, Julyn Pride
- For My Pen, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- Villanelle: When countries slaughter mai.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Coywolf, Julyn Pride