On Apes and Angels
We time together for some little space
Each adding unto each when harmony
Advances understanding, spirits free,
Rewards unneeded where acceptance trace
Enscribes upon the book of life. No race,
As difference mingles through the 'he in she'.
Some parts speak heart, some mindspeak, some may be
Too scared, too scarred, to trust amazing grace,
Refusing opportunities replace
Alliance open-end annuity.
None are all apes, none angels are that see
Great expectations through that interlace
Ever spokes Cause, Effect, put into place.
Most are part angel, primate part, mate we
In meeting may mutate wait's weight to be
Not breath constrictive which blind eye won't face,
Generating rather interface
Lifting ape to angel, when agree
Inner angels need reality,
Need also space to grow and to touch base.
Glimpsing future song ape's density
Only grasps when Time extends its see
Far from minds' current streams which soon erase
All trace of what might possibly debase
Perpetual search of self - and right to flee,
Eliminate choice offered as a key
An angel wise rejects - preferring chase,
New challenge daily, turns down 'just in case'
Desires and aspirations think link key.
Ape, down to earth, asserts priority
No angel could endorse for narrow pace
Goodwill may seem to squander not embrace,
Empathy mistrusts top/down celerity.
Life mingles ape and angel, colours minds,
Sorrow seldom see[k]s what free joy finds.
Jonathan ROBIN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (On Apes and Angels by Jonathan ROBIN )
- Between Silence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Transcending Life On Earth, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Hare And His Wife, Tony Adah
- Pussy So Good, Joseph Rodriguez
- Novel Approaches, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You Are Too Beautiful For Me, Mark Webster
- Living Through Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You are my qualifier, Ruby Frankel
- I know a new freedom, Ruby Frankel
- The Fog Lifted, Ruby Frankel
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)