One Must Not Play At Second Violin
One must not play at second violin,
sway, pointless puppet dangling on display,
bend as and when it suits, soft putty, clay
moulded to set roles. This pulls heart's string
insultingly, embarrassing must ring,
left stranded, beached, expected to obey
each whim, humiliating interplay
expressing weakness in most everything.
It is not seemly to be seen to know
such slight consideration. Never stay
one moment longer, head high stride away
by daylight to new lodgings, up and go,
swift slam this sham disgraceful. Who bears sharp blow
can't glow, one day high price must piper pay,
success, self-confidence, events gainsay,
bartering hope for wear, must scope forego.
Why stumble, stranger, thrust out from joy's gates,
some 'thing' unworthy of the least respect,
in circumstances scarcely circumspect?
This parody of principles, translates
treason, sharing's reason repudiates.
Look at yourself, your motives deep inspect.
Look once again, if motives are suspect
this complicates love's idyll, desecrates.
Jonathan ROBIN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
(9 November 2008)
Comments about this poem (One Must Not Play At Second Violin by Jonathan ROBIN )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Hind haiku (26-30), S.D. TIWARI
- Empathizing With Their Grievances, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Almost timeless, Gert Strydom
- #obamanation, A.j. Binash
- She broke in to me, Gert Strydom
- Fettered Birds By Bijay Kant Dubey, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Flash Fiction, Jose Armando Guzman
- Age-erasing Strategy .... [PERSONAL GRO.., Bri Edwards
- Thoughts, Alfred Barna
- two green tomatoes smashed in the street.., Mandolyn ...