I was earlier sitting there, &
Just giving blankness a deep stare.
I was thinking about going on stage, &
I visualised myself finally turning that page.
Then I was wondering,
What would I be saying?
Would it be inspiring? Or
Would it be boring?
Would I ever impress you all? Or
Would I have yet another downfall?
Clearly, I was combating my stage fright to no avail,
As I saw my facade of confidence smoothly sail.
I'm still up here though, just
As some of you were, a minute ago.
Trying to muster a show,
I alas realize that the battle is just with my ego.
In a minute I'll be back down, &
Play audience to yet another anxious speaker.
Similarly, he'll make me the cause of his frown, &
Similarly, he'll amplify his fear louder and louder.
He'll try to please me, and
He'll try to impress me.
He'll use me, and
He'll abuse me.
But I hope he realizes, that it's not me, &
I hope he realizes, that only he can set himself free.
Just like I am.
Just like I did.
Suraj Samtani's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Outloud by Suraj Samtani )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The BLISS Train IS Rollin'! ! !, Monk E. Biz
- Akungba Igbeyin, Tosin Abegunde
- Potential Individuality, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Ballad Of The Cowardly Fornicator, Andrea Mejia
- hostess snack, you missed the messy attack, Mandolyn ...
- Brightness Is Brighter, mary douglas
- Ekphrastic Poetry- Van Gogh -Night Cafe, Marieta Maglas
- Suddenly Darkness, fgbkehdguwheqi rewfgwej
- Walking On The Jewels Of Your Silence, mary douglas
- Show It To Me, Lawrence S. Pertillar