Lawrence S. Pertillar
What could be behind one's purpose,
To invite the visitation of a known headache.
What is the addiction?
I don't get it when I hear people complain,
Over and over and over again about the same thing.
When all that needs to be done to prevent the doing,
Is to stop the re-occurrence of it.
What is with people whose minds are confined,
To high school corridors...
After more than fourty years they should have left behind.
Wouldn't have been advantageous for them,
To take their places in the world and adjust to fitting in?
But listening to their child-like conversations,
Something is loved by a starting to lick,
A taste for those conflicts they begin but don't end.
And what is devastating about all of this,
There are only a few who view the doing of it...
As silly, foolish and pointless.
While those of the majority accepting a delayed maturity,
Believe they are owed candy the moment it is advertised on TV.
Then to moan and grown about the paying back of loans,
That has deepened their debts yet they keep attracted...
To whatever their neighbors also have,
Although it has decayed 'their' quality of life as well.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Owed Candy by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Honour my feelings!, Rekha Mandagere
- The End is Coming, michael hagwood
- A pencil on a painting, Ntando.B Da poet
- Distance, Alex Rodriguez
- Fierceless, Alex Rodriguez
- A Thousand More, Smoky Hoss
- i think i left my hand in yours. go look., Mandolyn ...
- Wild cold of novemeber, Alex Rodriguez
- Far Off, Sentamu Aziz
- Mill By The River, Stratis Havarti