That dog over there is called Petra,
she sits staring out of the window.
For a while now she’s been whining;
as though she’s filled with sorrow.
She’s probably waiting for her master,
because he often went out alone.
After two days she’s obediently waiting,
by the window of an empty home.
They say it’s six days since he left her
without a meal, a thought, or care,
but he never stepped out of the house,
he left her while he sat in the chair.
Orlando Belo's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (‘Petra’ by Orlando Belo )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Flower of Liberty, Oliver Wendell Holmes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- First Day at School, Roger McGough
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- innocence, abdirahman haaji rilwaan
- MOST LIVING PEOPLE, Michael P. Johnson
- Beautiful rose, Andytics mufc
- How Not to Play War, Ima Ryma
- We are here to sing, gajanan mishra
- The Girls And Their Peep Hole, Is It Poetry
- Goodbye dream, Marilyn Jean
- '' You're No Better Than Us '', bri mar
- Becoming Part Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Nineteen Years Since Your Passing, Jonathan Goldman a.k.a JGthe ..