I never promise make presumptions
But I often do keep my word
Choices are made from comparisons
Made from those who did let me down?
Those who did hold the crown
Were often nothing more than fools?
Looking for a false self-adulation…
But their letting me down is nothing new.
What can you do but be true
To the one who really matters?
So, look no further because
The only promise that matters is you.
The one who really matters is you.
Mark Heathcote's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Promises by Mark Heathcote )
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
Percy Bysshe Shelley