I never promise make presumptions
But I often do keep my word
Choices are made from comparisons
Made from those who did let me down?
Those who did hold the crown
Were often nothing more than fools?
Looking for a false self-adulation…
But their letting me down is nothing new.
What can you do but be true
To the one who really matters?
So, look no further because
The only promise that matters is you.
The one who really matters is you.
Mark Heathcote's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Promises by Mark Heathcote )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Sleigh Ride, Peter E. Evans
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou