Cold concrete floor and deafening silence
locks on every door displaying numbers
no names or personalities, no music or kid’s steps
just the sound of all seasons rushing to escape
sneaking through the cracks are our collective tales.
Old photo albums, and dresses with there tags
unopened Christmas presents, and the crystal wine glass
love letters from the seventies and teddy bears from the past
Oh! grandma recipes books and old biker pants.
Ballet dancer shoes and the exercise sound tracks
broken plastic chairs and plastic covered sofas
empty perfume bottles and the broken music box
the left over gift wraps and of course dirty dolls.
The babies’ first shoes and grandpas' eye wears
old crumbled maps and mangled license plates
The high-school diplomas and dried gummy bears
college essay papers and expired credit cards.
The unfinished craft projects and dried paint brushes
dust dressed magazines and the old version software
mismatched socks with holes and smaller blouse with stains
the forgotten changes in the pockets and washed up dollar bills.
Wondering through the coldness of Public-Self-Storage
are our defiant tails 'occupying' unnecessary space.
© Emu Getachew, October 30th,2009
Emu Getachew's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (“PUBLIC-SELF-STORAGE-SPACE' by Emu Getachew )
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ광교오피녀 ⓑ사당오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu3 sibngnu3
- L.Messi 오피뷰 광교오피 KTwiz 사당오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu3 sibngnu3
- Fruit Cocktail in Light Syrup, Amy Gerstler
- Racism, Kenneth Maswabi
- Idling mind., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Using Both Sides Of A Brain, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- hakuna matata, Luv Artem
- Silent Horizons, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Continuing Inspiration, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A.Blok, Three letters - 1- translation (.., Lyudmila Purgina
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- November, Thomas Hood
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Letter from Italy, Joseph Addison
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(7 January 1820 – 28 May 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)