Cold concrete floor and deafening silence
locks on every door displaying numbers
no names or personalities, no music or kid’s steps
just the sound of all seasons rushing to escape
sneaking through the cracks are our collective tales.
Old photo albums, and dresses with there tags
unopened Christmas presents, and the crystal wine glass
love letters from the seventies and teddy bears from the past
Oh! grandma recipes books and old biker pants.
Ballet dancer shoes and the exercise sound tracks
broken plastic chairs and plastic covered sofas
empty perfume bottles and the broken music box
the left over gift wraps and of course dirty dolls.
The babies’ first shoes and grandpas' eye wears
old crumbled maps and mangled license plates
The high-school diplomas and dried gummy bears
college essay papers and expired credit cards.
The unfinished craft projects and dried paint brushes
dust dressed magazines and the old version software
mismatched socks with holes and smaller blouse with stains
the forgotten changes in the pockets and washed up dollar bills.
Wondering through the coldness of Public-Self-Storage
are our defiant tails 'occupying' unnecessary space.
© Emu Getachew, October 30th,2009
Emu Getachew's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (“PUBLIC-SELF-STORAGE-SPACE' by Emu Getachew )
- Flow with time, hasmukh amathalal
- five hundred and whatever..., Mandolyn ...
- Copyrights, Mark Heathcote
- Freedom Not Permitted, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Feel bad, hasmukh amathalal
- Why Do You Want to Destroy?, Mantu Mahakul
- Fibonacci: Cosmic Spiral, Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel ..
- Reflection On Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Planet Hollywood Birthdays, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Distant Shadows, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Percy Bysshe Shelley