'Why do you look for Jesus amongst the dead'
These were the words the angels to Mary said.
Later in the garden she heard You call her name
Then turning around 'Rabboni' was her refrain.
The voice she thought she'd never hear again
came speaking from the grave so clear and plain.
There before her in resurrection victory
stood her Lord, untouchable but alive was He.
Royston Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.
He asked her, 'Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for? '
Thinking he was the gardener, she said, 'Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.'
Jesus said to her, 'Mary.'
She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, 'Rabboni! ' (which means 'Teacher') .
Jesus said, 'Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.''
Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: 'I have seen the Lord! ' And she told them that he had said these things to her.
All quotations ©NIV
Comments about this poem (Rabboni by Royston Allen )
- The End, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Tom Zart War Poems, Tom Zart
- The Red Apple, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Whispers of the night, Vincent Vinistarll
- Hope, Olivia Jaroensuk
- The Deer Hunter, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Ladder., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Income, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I Walk, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Mighty Boxers., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)