They say that when we’re older
We have a tendency to look back
To see the path we’ve taken,
Check if we’re on the right track.
But does it really matter?
We are exactly where we are.
Whether we’ve climbed mountains
Or journeyed near and far.
Do we have perspective?
Is compassion in our soul?
How do we try to handle
The things we can’t control?
I’ve looked back on my lifetime;
Where I’ve been and who I am
And I’ve come to the conclusion
That I’m like every other man.
I have mistakes, I have successes
And goals yet to achieve
Stuff I need to accomplish
Before I take my leave.
So reflecting on the path I chose
As I see the path I’ve lead;
I turn to face the future
And I choose to look ahead.
Try to be a better person.
Try to make more people grin.
Learn some things I do not yet know
Both outside and from within.
So my journey must continue
On the quiet autumn night
I’ve tasks to do, sights to see
And more poems to write.
Doug Gunderson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Respite Assessment by Doug Gunderson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
Poem of the Day
- Taron, Pariyon Ke Desh Meri Chandramukhi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Chandramukhi, I Haven't Seen You For So .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Becoming An Essence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Chosen Path, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I've Killed, Mr. Nobody
- Treasuring Experience, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flair, douglas scotney
- Feel the pain, gajanan mishra
- Inhaling Breaths Of Words, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Where Chants Collide, Richard Jarboe