Ritualistic Perfection, Pirate Adventures (13)
Small wooden idols with splintered skin decorate
the sloping tread way leading to the temple's hall.
Candle flames bedeviling eyes shift shadow shapes
as fledglings dance on grotesque walls.
Organ pipes rise, blending keys sound papal hymns, clear
spiral notes wavelength lick the ceilings skull framed dome.
Angel child's brown budding wings sparse halo glow; tearing,
crawls painful lengths to the altars hewed round stone.
Delirious, imagining myself on the Malevolent,
unnerved by this nightmarish lineal procession,
I unsheathe my sword awed by its pent begging tip
slaughtering witches chanting in ritualistic perfection.
I would not relent;
I would destroy their coven stables.
I heard cursive whooping cries
emanating from macabre
forms born of demigods,
fed the blood of angels,
with cloven feet and leaf tipped ears amassed
within the throng's confusion, charged,
conjuring swollen sepulcher skies
railing hatred in those around me.
I held my ground, my will remonstrated
and I withdrew inside till all was still.
I quieted my temper and calmed my speech,
when as a child I killed my father
and learned how to summon
the unbridled fury of the beast.
Captain Cur's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ritualistic Perfection, Pirate Adventures (13) by Captain Cur )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1878 - 3 May 1916)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 August 1880 – 9 November 1918)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Love's Substitute, Bernard O'Dowd
Poem of the Day
- Vivaciousness, hafiz qasim
- Christmas 2014-1914, Darlene Walsh
- Without You, Gillu Rahul
- Wordly, hafiz qasim
- In Blue December Breaking Off The Icicle.., mary douglas
- December 10-11- season bonus, Mae AC.
- Mountainclimber, hafiz qasim
- Miss Legs, Dorsey Baker
- A Lesson to Fur and Leather Entertainers, rohan bendre
- Love Is Here To Stay, Dorsey Baker