Sitting in a room filled with people,
Feeling like an outcast, I don't belong,
Staring out the window, not listening,
Never knowing of the sacrifice to come.
Watching my friend sneak someone in,
Trying to understand what is going on,
He watches his friend enter my room,
Of all places, why here? Why now?
Suddenly, he pulls a gun, fear takes over,
I realize, I don't want to die,
Tears flowing out of my fear filled eyes,
Everyone huddled in a corner.
Listening to this guy's threat,
Why would he bring this monster here? !
Wait, how long did he say? 30 minutes,
I watch the clock, but I watch him.
He's irritated, he has no patience,
Already 20 minutes pass, he's getting angry,
What is he doing? No, he's coming over here,
Don't pick me, don't pick me, please!
Watching him reach for a victim,
No! Not me! Grabbing my arm,
I'm going to die! Why me?
The gun pointed to my head.
How many minutes did he say? 2?
I can see death smiling, I'm going to die,
Thrown across the room to a wall,
He pointed the gun at me, I scream.
What else can I do? I can't run,
Time slowed, I saw my friend,
He tackled the monster he unleashed,
No! A shot, someone's been shot!
It can't be, please, don't let it be,
Rushing over to him, seeing the blood on his shirt,
That was my last day with him,
He sacrificed himself for my life.
My only question is, why?
I didn't deserve him, much less to lose him,
He unleashed a monster, but died a hero,
Taking the bullet, my sacrifice lives on.
Ocean Myranda's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sacrifice by Ocean Myranda )
- Tomar Hansi Tomar Kanna, ramesh rai
- But peace, hasmukh amathalal
- Rah! rRah! Siss-boom-bah!, Frank Avon
- Same enthusiasm, hasmukh amathalal
- NOT / Heart-related, Alan Hickman
- Boy last, hasmukh amathalal
- Goodbyes Are Hard, Sayli Satam
- I LOVE PARIS, Terry Collett
- Unrhymed, Naveed Khalid
- One glass one heart, Abdullah alHemaidy
Poem of the Day
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Robert Louis Stevenson
- Heather Burns