Abu Ali was around 60
When he joined us in Saudi.
The civil war was ON since
His last visit home in Lebanon.
And, no letter could he send,
Nor any phone calls possible,
To ask them, on what they lived
Since he bade a bleeding bye.
Zainab was 17, and was time
The father to give her hands
In hands strong and worthy,
For his lineage healthy.
Despite attempts many and varied,
He could cross no boarder ever,
As any black veil would blind
Hues of his paternal dreams.
Courage was still a mirage,
Still, could we cook some wishes,
With a pint of boldness blended;
For his pulses weak and face pale.
After days of travel tiring,
Across hostile yellow sands,
He could see but hands tender,
On his street, shining toys lethal.
Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Jordan,
Israel, Palestine and Lybia,
Many are with a fate similar;
Fatal tools shining ON and ON
To Put Abu Alis to eternal UNrest,
To be buried in blood-bound sands;
Where no grass ever dare to birth,
Lest their blooms too might bleed!
Tajudeen Shah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Similar Fate. by Tajudeen Shah )
- Spindrels of Cornucopia, Robert Rorabeck
- it's the little things that make love big, Mandolyn ...
- Time Frozen, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Time To Crash, Michael McParland
- Poetry Delivers, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Near faint beneath golden limes, Mark Heathcote
- Sakat Repertuar, Muzaffer Akin
- Caressing Beauty, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Slipping Away, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Waiting In Revlon's Waiting Area, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Mighty Horny Power Rangers, Ramona Thompson
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1612 – 16 September 1672)
- Heather Burns
(22 March 1941 -)