Someone Missing? Someone Gone?
I listened to the old man’s sighs,
he bowed his head and closed his eyes.
Back in time his memories went.
His shoulders and his back were bent.
His face took on a haunted look,
as he scrolled through his minds scrapbook.
A smile appeared and up he glanced,
remembering some time enhanced
by pictures entering his mind,
something that he had left behind
in those faint far away spent days,
recollected down distant ways.
And then his countenance turned grim,
a stark event came back to him,
forgotten for a long, long spell,
making the shining tears to dwell,
within those seeing orbs that shone.
Is someone missing? Someone gone?
I saw before me a man wise,
and watched him as he tried to rise.
Stumbling, weary, along the road,
carrying such a heavy load
of sorrows, pain and things now past.
On cobblestones his shadow cast.
So slowly he advanced towards,
a shelter made of plywood boards.
And climbing in, was out of view,
his name, his age, I never knew.
I turned and walked across the square,
thinking that life was so unfair.
Next day I heard that he had died,
and that’s when I sat down and cried.
Ernestine Northover's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Someone Missing? Someone Gone? by Ernestine Northover )
- Raining Hay, Julian Mann
- Belief on God, HARIOM RASTOGI
- Creativity, Tex T Sarnie
- Three Small Fancies, Ananta Madhavan
- Sips through lips, Aftab Alam
- The Mature Woman 2, Tex T Sarnie
- Invitation for Re - Opening Ceremony!, sisirachandra vaduge
- Unbarreled Gun, Edwin Cordero
- Thread of thought, Roann Mendriq
- Baking Bread, Roann Mendriq
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Udiah (witness to Yah)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)