George Pope Morris
Song Of The Troubadour.
'Come, list to the lay of the olden time,'
A troubadour sang on a moonlit stream:
'The scene is laid in a foreign clime,
'A century back--and love is the theme.'
Love was the theme of the troubadour's rhyme,
Of lady and lord of the olden time
'At an iron-barred turret, a lady fair
'Knelt at the close of the vesper-chime:
'Her beads she numbered in silent prayer
'For one far away, whom to love was her crime.
'Love,' sang the troubadour, 'love was a crime,
'When fathers were stern, in the olden time.
'The warder had spurned from the castle gate
'The minstrel who wooed her in flowing rhyme--
'He came back from battle in regal estate--
'The bard was a prince of the olden time.
'Love,' sand the troubadour, 'listened to rhyme,
'And welcomed the bard of the olden time.
'The prince in disguise had the lady sought;
'To chapel they hied in their rosy prime:
'Thus worth won a jewel that wealth never bought,
'A fair lady's heart of the olden time.
'The moral,' the troubadour sang, 'of my rhyme,
'Was well understood in the olden time.'
George Pope Morris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Song Of The Troubadour. by George Pope Morris )
- seriously though, the ending is dope, Mandolyn ...
- Performing A Musical, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Separation of the women who resemble sui.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- The Light The Night Sows, Walid Lounes Bouzerar
- Lasting Sorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Heart condition, Ibrar Siddiqi
- A Poet's Echo, Nate Flying Owl
- did the clergy man create chaos when the.., Mandolyn ...
- Path Of No Resistance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If Love... The This Follow...., Luis Estable
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)