Benjamin K Duncan
Staring into the eyes
of hatred itself,
On ugly pavement.
As big as possible
To fend off he.
On days unlike today,
a hideous blasphemy.
No sense in anger.
On the Roofs of other galaxies,
Attenuated to the harmonies.
An impossible target,
A skilled marksman would miss.
A fluke of vagary
An opportune hobo,
For a minute.
Set yourself against another;
Pick a foe.
For now is the battle for your life,
Only you can help yourself.
Rise like bread to the boil,
In a yeasty consistency,
You will bagel.
Victory tastes like defeat.
There are a million more battles,
Winning is ephemeral.
You are the sometimes victor.
Benjamin K Duncan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Staring Victor by Benjamin K Duncan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 February 1898 – 14 August 1956)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Our Precious Time, Jiya Jain
- An Epitaph on the Admirable Dramatic Poe.., John Milton
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- The Warped Human Minds, rajendran muthiah
- Polished Nail, maria sudibyo
- Bromance In The Air, maria sudibyo
- Counting Days, maria sudibyo
- Rain in My Heart, maria sudibyo
- Atonement, maria sudibyo
- Paper Cut, maria sudibyo
- Unfinished Poem, maria sudibyo
- I Want A Foreigner Girl For Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Blackberries / Briars, Frank Avon