Innocent pen, innocent ink [and Muse]
On an innocent page scribbles abuse--
“Monkey, stupid, queer and dud,
Donkey, silly, diffuse, absurd,”
Again, writes the pen with equal care
Seemly, sweet words proper and fair--
“Soft, precious, sober, wise
Sweetie, cutie”, goodness surprise!
Words concealed within the mind
On paper do their expression find
Under twist and turn of alphabet’s bulk
Some cheer, the others sulk
Regular sequence of same old ink
Makes some laugh, takes others on tears' brink
Scripts do not strike, neither confine nor yell
Why then do men laugh or cry, just tell?
Black and white patterns, what magic do they know?
I rack my brains, but really am unable to follow!
[Original: 'Ashchorjyo' (Bengali), Translation by: Zinia Mitra]
Sukumar Ray's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sur-Prize by Sukumar Ray )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Woman's right to her child, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Which make one's beauty?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Independence Day of India 2014 (in acros.., Dr John Celes
- Bitter-Sweet Memories, Matthias Pantaleon
- Friend 2, Neela Nath
- Romantic Love, The Princess
- So move, hasmukh amathalal
- His Face, Heather Jephcott
- Why to think?, hasmukh amathalal
- Through my window sill, binod bastola