Take some Picts, Celts and Silures
And let them settle,
Then overrun them with Roman conquerors.
Remove the Romans after approximately 400 years
Add lots of Norman French to some
Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Vikings, then stir vigorously.
Mix some hot Chileans, cool Jamaicans, Dominicans,
Trinidadians and Bajans with some Ethiopians, Chinese,
Vietnamese and Sudanese.
Then take a blend of Somalians, Sri Lankans, Nigerians
Combine with some Guyanese
And turn up the heat.
Sprinkle some fresh Indians, Malaysians, Bosnians,
Iraqis and Bangladeshis together with some
Afghans, Spanish, Turkish, Kurdish, Japanese
Then add to the melting pot.
Leave the ingredients to simmer.
As they mix and blend allow their languages to flourish
Binding them together with English.
Allow time to be cool.
Add some unity, understanding, and respect for the future,
Serve with justice
Note: All the ingredients are equally important. Treating one ingredient better than another will leave a bitter unpleasant taste.
Warning: An unequal spread of justice will damage the people and cause pain. Give justice and equality to all.
Benjamin Zephaniah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The British by Benjamin Zephaniah )
Did you read them?
- Midnight Blue, Heather Burns
- Rodeo Rogues, Saiom Shriver
- Seek And Ye Shall Find, Saiom Shriver
- Starlove, Saiom Shriver
- Sonnet No: 62 I WERE A CUCKOO, I'D SWE.., Dipankar Sadhukhan
- dreams and reality, Rahman Henry
- To Alex. Cunningham, Esq., Writer, Edinb.., Robert Burns
- So many faces, gajanan mishra
- On the Seas and far away, Robert Burns
- Steel Funeral, Dazairie Ronay
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Udiah (witness to Yah)