Take some Picts, Celts and Silures
And let them settle,
Then overrun them with Roman conquerors.
Remove the Romans after approximately 400 years
Add lots of Norman French to some
Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Vikings, then stir vigorously.
Mix some hot Chileans, cool Jamaicans, Dominicans,
Trinidadians and Bajans with some Ethiopians, Chinese,
Vietnamese and Sudanese.
Then take a blend of Somalians, Sri Lankans, Nigerians
Combine with some Guyanese
And turn up the heat.
Sprinkle some fresh Indians, Malaysians, Bosnians,
Iraqis and Bangladeshis together with some
Afghans, Spanish, Turkish, Kurdish, Japanese
Then add to the melting pot.
Leave the ingredients to simmer.
As they mix and blend allow their languages to flourish
Binding them together with English.
Allow time to be cool.
Add some unity, understanding, and respect for the future,
Serve with justice
Note: All the ingredients are equally important. Treating one ingredient better than another will leave a bitter unpleasant taste.
Warning: An unequal spread of justice will damage the people and cause pain. Give justice and equality to all.
Benjamin Zephaniah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The British by Benjamin Zephaniah )
- Losing you, Ronnie Rox
- Autumn Parade, Joseph T. Renaldi
- SUCCESS IS LIKE LIGHT, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- The Final Feast, Smoky Hoss
- First Day Of School, Joseph T. Renaldi
- The Return, Smoky Hoss
- A poem for a poem, Nikola Pajtic
- Candlelight, Matt Mooney
- High Rollers, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Nightmares at your feet, Nikola Pajtic
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mark R Slaughter
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow