The Good Old Days
How really were the ways
painted in poets’ plays,
the sunsets and the suns
set out in Cadmus’ songs?
The lyre, the ancient lays,
the sages’ interplays?
They covered countless wrongs,
the misery of the throngs.
The pauper now repays
the rich for serf’s harsh thongs.
I write on in my rhymes
about our former times,
to which some turn with awe -
misplaced nostalgia! -
to comment on the crimes,
the sweeps, the Mr. Grimes.
We’ve travelled very far
from carthorse to the car, -
though children still shaft mines -
few coal for railway lines.
The 'Good Old Days' it seems,
remembered from our dreams,
show slight reflection bright
when held up to the light.
So though now trouble teems
distorting climate streams -
as we are warmed at night,
asleep and tucked up tight,
dreams remain but dreams, -
© Jonathan ROBIN robi3_0027_robi3_0000 XXX_JZX 14 December 1974
Jonathan ROBIN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Good Old Days by Jonathan ROBIN )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Time For Healing and Time to Love, Almedia Knight Oliver
- Merry-Christmas, gajanan mishra
- The best of surrenders, A. Jayaprakash Jayaprakash P ..
- This world is yours, gajanan mishra
- Wrapped Around Your Finger, Amber Carr
- With full freedom, hasmukh amathalal
- તે જ જોવાનું..tej jovaanu, hasmukh amathalal
- Sounds, Vera Sidhwa
- The Sounds, Vera Sidhwa
- Absence, Neela Nath