The Good Old Days
How really were the ways
painted in poets’ plays,
the sunsets and the suns
set out in Cadmus’ songs?
The lyre, the ancient lays,
the sages’ interplays?
They covered countless wrongs,
the misery of the throngs.
The pauper now repays
the rich for serf’s harsh thongs.
I write on in my rhymes
about our former times,
to which some turn with awe -
misplaced nostalgia! -
to comment on the crimes,
the sweeps, the Mr. Grimes.
We’ve travelled very far
from carthorse to the car, -
though children still shaft mines -
few coal for railway lines.
The 'Good Old Days' it seems,
remembered from our dreams,
show slight reflection bright
when held up to the light.
So though now trouble teems
distorting climate streams -
as we are warmed at night,
asleep and tucked up tight,
dreams remain but dreams, -
© Jonathan ROBIN robi3_0027_robi3_0000 XXX_JZX 14 December 1974
Jonathan ROBIN's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Good Old Days by Jonathan ROBIN )
- As golden, hasmukh amathalal
- without warning, with morning, Lucy Gray
- How to Pinda-Dana?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- We are neighbors, gajanan mishra
- Sonnet: How Cancers Kill!, Dr John Celes
- My love xi, binod bastola
- आंहा उदै बुंजासे आदार गैया, Ronjoy Brahma
- Cutting Edge, Satish Verma
- Will Never Love Nor Marry Unless, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Image of God, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)