The Indian Dances
The Indian culture is most diverse,
So are the Indian dances to traverse;
There are many Indian Classical dances,
And so are the many regional Folk dances.
A physical and visual form is dance,
It appropriates the spectator to a trance;
The colourful attire enchants the audience,
And the different ornaments amuse their sense.
The Natya Sastra by Sage Bharata was propounded,
And the Indian Classical dance on a grammar founded;
Indian culture with four Vedas itself prides,
And with Natya Sastra known as the fifth Veda, it strides.
Dances were originally performed in a temple,
Mainly to entertain Gods and Godesses and people;
Accompanying were the drums, flute and other instruments,
To synchronize with the music and the dancers ‘ movements.
The Classical dances are spiritual in content,
The Folk dances are of joy and celebration intent;
Elements of Indian dances are Mudra and Abhinaya—
The dancer's interpretation of words set to music and laya.
Many dance forms depict the moods -Navarasas,
Which are the various emotions or nine rasas;
They are Hasya, Krodha, Bhibasta, Bhaya, Santha,
And Veeram, Karuna, Adbhuta and Shoka:
Which are Happiness, Anger, Disgust, Fear, Serenity,
And Courage, Compassion, Wonder, and Sorrow respectively.
Many are the reputed Indian dance styles,
So are the many dance forms of details.
The Indian dance forms, that are popular—
Bharathanatyam of Tamil Nadu: Manipuri of Manipur:
Garba of Gujarat: Kuchupudi of Andhra Pradesh:
Bhangra of Punjab: Kathak of Uttar Pradesh:
Gaudiya Nritya of West Bengal: Lavani of Maharashtra:
Kathakali and Mohini Attam of Kerala: Oddissi of Oddisha:
Indian dances play their parts in many realms of arts—
In Poetry, Architecture, Literature and Sculpture of sorts.
Dancers with their beautiful art give us a profound feeling,
Making them appealing and our hearts stealing!
chandra thiagarajan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Indian Dances by chandra thiagarajan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
James Bayard Taylor
(11 January 1825 – 19 December 1878)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
Poem of the Day
- Behind My Pain, Spiritwind Wood
- The History Will Hide…, Rajesh Thankappan
- I Cried, Enyinwa Okechukwu Enyinwa
- Uncle Trevor's Justice to Travis, rohan bendre
- The Second Birth Of Tragedy, Leila Samarrai
- Y/.. A Restfull Mind, Aufie Zophy
- My bodyguard, Rob Spiering
- Green Shades Create a Meaning, Rohit Sapra
- Country Inn, Dr. Yogesh Sharma
- Mysterious guest., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..