The Meaning Of Life
Down the aisle and back again
The handsome groom and his new wife
She looks into his eyes and says,
'Dearest, tell me the meaning of life.'
He takes her in his arms and replies,
'Love, you are the meaning of life.'
She looks into her baby's face
A joyous smile and eyes so bright
The mother turns to her husband and asks,
'Now can you tell me the meaning of life? '
He gazes down at his daughter and says,
'Maybe she is the meaning of life.'
A little girl takes her father's hand
Laughing and leading him into the night
Chasing fireflies and dancing merrily
'Daddy, what is the meaning of life? '
He pulls a firefly from her hair
'Moments like these are the meaning of life.'
Years come and go for the family of three
Years without sadness, worry, or strife
Once in a while someone will ask,
'Can you please tell me the meaning of life? '
The couple will smile and shake their heads
'We can't explain the meaning of life.'
Two parents stand by their daughter's grave
Grieving at the tragic sight
The woman turns to her husband and says,
'Dearest, what now is the meaning of life? '
He utters these words, choking back tears,
'Love, there is no more meaning to life.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Meaning Of Life by Akara K. )
- There, Barbara Dixion
- Humpty-Dumpty, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Of Life Is Change, Is It Poetry
- Chicken Burger, Angela Wybrow
- Take me home, Barbara Dixion
- How...?, Ginny Gibbs
- gustakhi karke ched gyin uski aankhein, Yashvardhan Goel
- mukda, Yashvardhan Goel
- No More Yelling, Michael McParland
- The Wilderness We Abandon, Robert Rorabeck
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)