The Meaning Of Life
Down the aisle and back again
The handsome groom and his new wife
She looks into his eyes and says,
'Dearest, tell me the meaning of life.'
He takes her in his arms and replies,
'Love, you are the meaning of life.'
She looks into her baby's face
A joyous smile and eyes so bright
The mother turns to her husband and asks,
'Now can you tell me the meaning of life? '
He gazes down at his daughter and says,
'Maybe she is the meaning of life.'
A little girl takes her father's hand
Laughing and leading him into the night
Chasing fireflies and dancing merrily
'Daddy, what is the meaning of life? '
He pulls a firefly from her hair
'Moments like these are the meaning of life.'
Years come and go for the family of three
Years without sadness, worry, or strife
Once in a while someone will ask,
'Can you please tell me the meaning of life? '
The couple will smile and shake their heads
'We can't explain the meaning of life.'
Two parents stand by their daughter's grave
Grieving at the tragic sight
The woman turns to her husband and says,
'Dearest, what now is the meaning of life? '
He utters these words, choking back tears,
'Love, there is no more meaning to life.'
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Meaning Of Life by Akara K. )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Suicide's Note, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Osho, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Many Third-Classers, Bijay Kant Dubey
- As A Man, I Hate The Fanatic The Most, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Bapu, In Your Memory, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Mirth of William, James Merchant
- -Untitled- (2), Morgan Siegel
- The Short Ballad of Egg Boy, James Merchant
- Logic in Life, Jayatissa Liyanage
- - Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.
- Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.