The Nation's Light
'Arise and shine! '
The Clarion Voice cried
For you are the light
The Nation's light
And so I arise
And I tried to shine
But it will not glow
The light will not glow
It has been dimmed!
The light is dimmed!
The senseless Killings
(The wicked accuses)
The youths, the victims
Yet I arise
For I am the light
The Nation's light
And I shall try
(...I'll try to shine)
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
This is a poetic sequel to a story I am trying to 'construct' about the perils and challenges of obeying the Clarion call in my country Nigeria. The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme has come under intense criticism in recent times, when many Corps Members posted to different states to serve their fatherland were brutally murdered in times of crisis, and were wickedly accused of various wrongdoings, although they are mostly innocent.
These were supposed to be the most protected youths in Nigeria, for they carry the Nation's light. But Unfortunately, they are not.
That is the situation these enterprising youths have found themselves. And something must be done about it on time, or else the essence of the program is defeated.
Comments about this poem (The Nation's Light by Adesola Tomilade )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- There Is A Time When One Forces Oneself .., Shalom Freedman
- Lament to the Full Moon, Geoffrey Fafard
- Roach Talk, Ima Ryma
- Haiku A Butterfly By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove
- When I Die, Luis Estable
- As if I'd Fallen in Its Waves by Sophy.., Sophy Chen