I sit; my eyes greedily scan the room.
I see gesticulation, animation.
Practiced predators search for prey,
Oiled by potions bought today
From stores that sell such dreams.
In the corner bathed in insecurity
Lacking guile, to fake the smile
That brings such rich reward.
For him, tonight, no body to entwine.
My nose takes in sweet perfumes
The sweetest smell cannot foretell,
What's truth and what is lie.
But covers fetid feelings, if only, for a while.
My ears sift conversations, exaggerations,
Often, pointless lies.
The absence of veracity,
No invite...No surprise.
These gatherings are home to fools, no places for the wise.
I touch the leather chair, on which I perch,
I search for signs, of innocence,
A futile quest.
All my senses scream for rest,
So, no more time will I invest.
I leave the room.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Owain Glyn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Party by Owain Glyn )
- A jumping bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- There are heroes, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Love counts the hours, Mark Heathcote
- My Deck, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A trip to rotgut, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A recipe for a poem, Harold R Hunt Sr
- America will be back, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I will not be taken down., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Will the crowd cheer, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)