Purpose? My purpose?
I never bothered with that question until recently.
You see, middle age has settled in my bones and in my psyche.
Frequently, I feel as untethered as a ship at sea.
I have found myself to be of real value to a very few people.
The good news is they are the only people I find that really matter.
My wonderful, amazing, awe-inspiring children.
And lest I forget, I am a meaningful part of their grown-up worlds.
My children know my most grievous mistakes and yet they honor me.
My children know my weakest areas and yet they fortify and lift me.
My children know my horrific lapses in judgment and yet don't judge.
My children know my most glaring flaws and see right past them.
I am frightened and inspired by the fact that my children find my advice sound and my experience worth consideration.
Some days, when I am feeling completely purposeless, they are the only things keeping me tethered to this world.
At times I regret things I have (or haven't) done, but that is fruitless and dangerous thinking.
Regrets I may have, but serendipity intervened, allowing my children to blossom in the face of hardship and sometimes adversity.
So I am humbled, that as my children mature into full-fledged, they are independent, free-thinking, delightful human beings.
I question my purpose no longer.
shannon wright's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Purpose by shannon wright )
- Scriptures, gajanan mishra
- Mazdoor Bachey, Bano Ali
- She Says, Joseph Narusiewicz
- In the Company of my Muse, Valsa George
- This Is Our Mega City, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.55, Monk E. Biz
- Global Village, Bijay Kant Dubey
- PRETTY GOOD START.., ging taping
- Draw me in your heart, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- The thirst is a thorn., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Solitary Reaper, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)