The Suitable Groom
Heard your daughter's getting married,
From Posta, the news I carried.
Gangaram, the groom you chose,
I wish to describe, the quality he owes.
Now listen, listen, Hark, Hark!
His complexion is awfully dark.
His facial cutting, is somewhat round,
Rather an owl, just to sound.
Education? Oh, just wait!
Not so bright under any rate.
Nineteen times he had to pluck,
Till he left for his rotten luck.
Financial career? Poor indeed,
Somehow makes both ends meet.
And his brothers who are there,
Rather inhuman, know you dear.
One is stubborn, the other insane,
Quite a troupe of hollow men.
Oh, I missed the other two
Real gems are they, not to rue.
One was smart, but now in prison,
Forged bank notes, (So petty a reason!)
The youngest one in profession grand
Earns five bucks from a rustic band.
And Gangaram - is real meek,
Weak, feeble, and always sick.
But they are royal, Is that clear?
Tell you, they are King Kansha's heirs.
And Shyam Lahiri of Banagram,
Is somehow kin to Gangaram.
Overall the groom is not so bad,
Cheer up, cheer up, don't be sad.
[Original: 'Sat Patro' (Bengali) , Translated by: Ruchira Ghosh]
Sukumar Ray's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Suitable Groom by Sukumar Ray )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- قصه ماه 1, ALI MOSLEHI
- life is fair........., RIC S. BASTASA
- when you are alone you become a thinker, RIC S. BASTASA
- all dirty clothes wrapped in cellophane, RIC S. BASTASA
- the way i want it, RIC S. BASTASA
- an early morning canvass, RIC S. BASTASA
- A Nation I Lack Of Notion, Halla Ingimars
- a little philosophy, RIC S. BASTASA
- No More Sorrow, Dr. Emmanuel Moore Abolo
- AMONG THE PRETTY PEBBLES مابين الحصوات ا.., MOHAMMAD SKATI