The Ultimate Price
This is the end!
Like the Adele's song in “Skyfall”
Walter rests there near slain
like a warrior deserted in a battle
in blood, sweat and pain.
His memories sling on,
his fall, his defeat, and triumph,
too many wrong deeds, too many stumbles.
Does he have any remorse? Any regret?
May be not
He accepts death, the ultimate price he pays.
Why do people die for their families?
Is it a basic tribal instinct?
Is it a sequel of human evolutionary process?
Or is there something beyond eternal bliss?
Walter cannot answer that question
His last wish, only thing for he craves
Junior could have deemed his words
“I didn't kill your uncle Hank.
Please believe me my son.”
But it is too late
Walter knows he slit his son’s trust and faith
It is harrowing for him to accept
He raised his fading eyes and asked
Why is God so cruel and unjust?
A gale blows, it chills his mind and wound
The lulling smile of his baby Holly gleams
And it him reminds
there is water for her to bathe
there is air for her to breathe
the Sun will light her fresh life to bloom.
For that he thanks God in his dying gloom
And he smiles before he folds.
Nirode Ray's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Ultimate Price by Nirode Ray )
- Haunted, James coupland
- How Blessed Are Those, Shalom Freedman
- Individual Reasons, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Gentle Laughter, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #5, Brian Johnston
- Existence Of An Only Time, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Diwali..., DRASHI SHAH
- Season And Interest, George Egba
- Heart Turned To Stone, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flying October, Vinaya Joseph
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)