The Underwater World
The only noise I hear is the
steady sucking of my breath,
so loud it smothers sound.
The lifeline for my lungs
sends rafts of bubbles to the surface
into gleaming shafts of sun
like scatterings of spun glass.
My ears relieve by cracking
when I descend,
as a piece of drifting thistledown.
Beneath the turquoise surface is a gloaming.
With a springy bounce I land on sand
in a brightly colored other world of
shapes, waving softly without hands.
Caves of white lace filaments,
black, purple, chartreuse fans,
complex coral plates,
beckon me. A Moray eel,
green as a gherkin, exposes
needle teeth from his protective lair;
“touch me not”, his fierce mouth shouts,
while an octopus, his neighbor,
mottles red as if allergic to my stare.
Spiral cones called Christmas Trees
decorate a stately coral,
swiftly suck in if I poke them,
timidly peek out again
after I drop deep down a wall,
encountering a broad Elephant Ear,
a clinging colossal mushroom.
Eyes wide, fins gently moving,
I want to stay suspended
in my underwater home.
The sea brings out the fish in me,
Sian Mein's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Underwater World by Sian Mein )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Dayspring, Frank Avon
- A Lonely Princess, Steve Kittell
- Recife Dogs Haiku, Kim Barney
- Pausing - That Was All, Frank Avon
- Truth, Please, Sandra Feldman
- can I be..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- As You Laid There, GJG Elton
- At the market..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- Below, Frank Avon
- God's own..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan