The Wasting Ways of War
They all weep.
War poems, Documentary scripts
File pictures, all cry that
War is about the brave men;
(sometimes women) ..they don't see a child
With dusty curls and gaping eyes
Wide... not in wonderment
At sight of angels or reindeer skies
But startled lashes that flutter
At Daisy cutters.
War is about the children
Who cling a security rag
That sweeps their earth of its history
And writes a whole new geography
In a stranger's script
... Is about the child that learns to hide
Not at play to be sought and found with glee
But with terror in his eye.
...Is about the unhoned brunt
Of a psychosis yet unborn
For those the Red Cross slipped
...Is about children at home
With Papas at the borders
Short-lived hero Papas.. alive or dead.
...Is about children in the streets
Who cannot recognize their mothers and aunts
Among the splash of mud and red.
Blood is lighter than water here
Water solidifies yet thaws unflawed to flow again.
Blood clots and remains clotted.
Clots and is interred if the body is fortunate.
Blood is thin with fatigue
Thin with the manipulations of thickset minds
Thin and clotting and powerless.
As powerless as startled children.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Wasting Ways of War by Famida Basheer )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Al Contorno L Ser Humano, Zoila T. Flores
- Pernickety, hafiz qasim
- Turning In, Michael P. McParland
- True Love 3, Michael P. McParland
- True Love 2, Michael P. McParland
- Dream Number 4 (love), Smoky Hoss
- True Love, Michael P. McParland
- Solitudinarian, hafiz qasim
- The Secret, Hazel Durham
- MG CLUB, lee fones