Today... 'Former of all things'
God formed the universe including Earth
and by His word gave virgin light its birth.
His glory the angelic beings proclaim
the Lord of Hosts is the this great God's name.
Then gathering the dust upon the ground
He formed the very first man from that mound.
Stooping down His lips met this man of His
and tenderly breathed in life with a kiss.
Taking a rib from this man called Adam
He clothed it with flesh and formed a woman.
A gift from God for Adam to receive
a beautiful woman whose name was Eve.
The Former of all things had a great plan
to create the universe and make man.
But all of these former things will not last
by His new creation they'll be surpassed.
(additional background information is provided in the Poem's story box below)
Roy Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The portion of Jacob is not like them: for he is the former of all things; and Israel is the rod of his inheritance: The LORD of hosts is his name.(KJV)
Jeremiah 51: 19
The portion of Jacob is not like them; for he is the former of all things: and Israel is the rod of his inheritance: the LORD of hosts is his name.(KJV)
The Bible calls You by many names
each one giving a glimpse of Your glory.
Like a cut diamond radiating in the sun
with every facet depicting an aspect
of Your Divine Nature.
Today I have thought of You as
'The Former of all things '
Comments about this poem (Today... 'Former of all things' by Roy Allen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- [CW]Watch The Flash Season 1 Episode 11 .., Renz Barns
Poem of the Day
- Preferred Mode Of Relating, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- PH: Love: He Said / She Said, Brian Johnston
- Confuse not, gajanan mishra
- I have perceived you enchanting, Mark Heathcote
- Can't I?, Nisha K. Janine
- Making plans, Angell Afinowi
- 'While There's Life, There's Hope', Mae AC.
- Thoughts of her, Nick Kler
- A flaw, gajanan mishra
- Gaining status, Angell Afinowi