Today... 'God of the armies of Israel'
Goliath stood there with his javelin and shield
but David ran down towards him and would not yield.
He said, “You come against me with your sword and spear
but the God of the armies of Israel is here.”
“The LORD God will deliver you into my hands,
For He is not concerned with your petty demands.”
Then reaching into his bag and taking a stone,
He slung it hard and Goliath was overthrown.
With the stone embedded deeply into his head
that Philistine champion fell to the ground dead.
And then everyone on that great battlefield knew
what the God of the armies of Israel could do.
(see also the additional information in the Poet's notes box below)
Roy Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
David said to the Philistine, 'You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hands, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds and the wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.”
As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him. Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground.
All quotations ©NIV
The Bible calls You by many names
each one giving a glimpse of Your glory.
Like a cut diamond radiating in the sun
with every facet depicting a glorious
aspect of Your Divine Nature.
Today I have thought of You as
'God of the armies of Israel'
Comments about this poem (Today... 'God of the armies of Israel' by Roy Allen )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Proposal, Michael P. McParland
- Before we sleep, Karin Holloway
- Profound, Michael P. McParland
- Pouncer, Michael P. McParland
- Pointless, Michael P. McParland
- Please Tell Me, Michael P. McParland
- Think It Through, Brandino Lopez
- Please Be Mine Today, Michael P. McParland
- Perfection, Michael P. McParland
- Perfect Moment, Michael P. McParland